Hormones are highly active biological substances that have a stimulating or suppressive effect on the most important functions of the human body. They affect the growth and development of internal organs, metabolism, the functioning of the reproductive system, psychoemotional and physical health.
An endocrinologist treats the following pathologies:
- Disorders of carbohydrate metabolism: prediabetes, type 1 and 2 diabetes mellitus
- Diseases of the thyroid gland: diffuse nodular goiter, thyroiditis, diffuse toxic goiter, deficiency and excess of production of thyroid hormones
- Parathyroid disorders: hypoparathyroidism, hyperparathyroidism, osteoporosis, and vitamin D deficiency
- Diseases of the pituitary gland: pan-hypopituitarism, hormone-producing formations of the pituitary gland
- Adrenal diseases: adrenal tumors, pheochromocytoma and more
Endocrine disorders not corrected in time have a direct impact on the general condition of the body and very often lead to serious complications.
Symptoms for contacting an endocrinologist
If you have one or more of the most common signs listed below, you are not feeling well, I recommend that you consult an endocrinologist:
- causeless weakness, increased fatigue, decreased performance
- high or low blood pressure or its instability
- headaches, poor sleep, anxiety, or apathy
- constant thirst, dry mouth
- a sharp loss of body weight or, conversely, a strong weight gain
- frequent unreasonable heartbeat attacks
- heavy sweating
- frequent urination
- a sharp decrease or increase in appetite
- the appearance of puffiness and bags under the eyes
- weak immunity, frequent colds
- menstrual irregularities
Also, if you do not have pronounced symptoms of diseases of the organs of the endocrine system, I recommend that you undergo a preventive examination by an endocrinologist once every 3-5 years, during which the doctor will exclude the most common pathologies of the thyroid gland and carbohydrate metabolism (prediabetes, diabetes mellitus), since often patients firstly go to see other specialists, for example, a cardiologist, gynecologist, neurologist, ophthalmologist.